[rust-dev] 0.5 prerelease testing

Lindsey Kuper lindsey at rockstargirl.org
Wed Dec 19 20:50:32 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Brian Anderson <banderson at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/2012 05:40 PM, Ralph Giles wrote:
>>
>> On 12-12-19 3:00 PM, Graydon Hoare wrote:
>>
>>> We've posted a prerelease of 0.5 to:
>>>
>>>    http://static.rust-lang.org/dist/rust-0.5.tar.gz
>>
>> Doesn't build on MacOS 10.5:
>

> Thanks! I've long wondered whether Rust actually works on 10.5, which is the
> oldest OS X I think we could reasonably support (older versions are missing
> rpath). Now we know.

According to my notes from back then, I apparently did get Rust to
build on my 10.5 Mac once, back in March 2011 (the pre-0.1 days).  But
all my notes say is that I had to use gcc 4.2 rather than 4.0.1 (Xcode
should come with both, although 4.0.1 is the default) to get it to
work.

Unfortunately, I didn't go into any more detail than that, and now I
wonder if I was hallucinating.  In the time since then, I've tried
several times to build it, but something has always gone wrong while
building rt -- a missing header file, I think.  I've never seen the
error that Ralph had, though.  Trying it again just now, I got this:

/Users/lkuper/rust/src/rt/rust_sched_driver.cpp: In member function
'void rust_sched_driver::start_main_loop()':
/Users/lkuper/rust/src/rt/rust_sched_driver.cpp:33: error:
'pthread_setname_np' was not declared in this scope

I don't think it should be impossible to make work, but I never had
the energy to dig in, and I never supposed that anyone else cared
about 10.5 -- apparently, I was wrong about that!  :)

Lindsey