[rust-dev] Managed & owned boxes in Rust

Tom Lee rust-dev at tomlee.co
Wed Dec 5 12:49:20 PST 2012

Hey folks,

Don't mean to spam, but I wrote a blog post last night about memory
management in Rust as I understand it, both based on my own experience with
the language so far and a few conversations on the #rust channel:

http://tomlee.co/2012/12/managed-and-owned-boxes-in-the-rust-programming-language/

If anybody's up for giving it a read over, I'm really keen to know if I'm
"getting it" or if I'm still confused :) I think I'm essentially rewording
what's in the tutorial, but for some reason I struggled to digest the
details for a while.

I'm still not sure I understand why the exchange stack is exposed
syntactically if you can't directly use it to transfer ownership between
tasks (i.e. you still have to resort to pipes etc. which use the exchange
stack under the hood).

Appreciate any clarification or thoughts!

Cheers,
Tom