[rust-dev] Student projects

Brian Anderson banderson at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 23 17:54:01 PDT 2012

On 08/23/2012 02:31 PM, Graydon Hoare wrote:

> IOW, sure, we always have more work to do than we can possibly do
> ourselves. Extra hands very welcome.

Here are more ideas I pulled out of the issue tracker.

* Implement big integers - https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/33

* Add compiler-inserted yield checks - task scheduling is totally
unfair, and part of the problem is that tasks don't yield automatically
yet unless they are using library functions that must yield for
correctness. https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/524

* Add static crate linking - there is some bitrotted code for this
already. https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/552

* Add a 1:1 task:thread scheduling mode, collect some performance
numbers. https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/595

* Add config files, build-generated lists of attributes that are merged
into the crate attributes. https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/612

* Fix debug info. Rust code can't really be debugged. Still. This is
some serious compiler hacking.

* Get gcov working (code coverage). Probably depends on the above.
https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/690

* Add a task monitor. This would probably be a named service that can be
queried for the task state, can provide messages on task lifecycle
events. Also give tasks useful names.

* Add a #[deprecated] attribute. Easy lint check.
https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/723

* Write or finish a pygments lexer, upstream it, and get github to use
it to syntax highlight Rust code.
https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/1198

* Improve cargo. This is an open-ended problem, as we don't have a firm
design in mind.

* Improve rustdoc. As above, the tool exists, but isn't great.

* Add command-line configuration of runtime environment.
https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/1497

* Improve the formal rust grammar and make it testable.
https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/2234

* Add more lint checks. The issue tracker has several open requests