[rust-dev] Performance optimization

Brian Anderson banderson at mozilla.com
Sat Apr 7 16:08:47 PDT 2012

On 04/06/2012 06:19 PM, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
> Hi,
> What do you guys use to profile rust programs? Just manual timers in
> the code, or do you have any tools to recommend?

On linux I use either perf or callgrind. I usually prefer callgrind
because, in combination with kcachegrind, it displays things with easily
comprehensible pictures.

> (I can't resist! Eye candy, as of last night:
> http://i.imgur.com/77lAr.png . That's 300k triangles, at 512x512 and
> 3x3 super sampling, with 1 area light and 1-bounce global
> illumination, Took just under 6 minutes on my Core i7 2600k - single
> core, since there's no real way to write parallel programs in rust
> yet).

So awesome! Can a ray tracer not be usefully written in a task-parallel
way? Is data-parallelism the only thing that will help here?

-Brian