[rust-dev] Performance optimization

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 18:19:27 PDT 2012

Hi,
What do you guys use to profile rust programs? Just manual timers in
the code, or do you have any tools to recommend?

I saw that brson had updated my old Rust ray tracer to Rust 0.2 so I
downloaded his version and started piling on new features. And while
it's already many times faster than it used to be (largely from "free"
compiler improvements, or "cheap" inline annotations on (most) hot
functions, but also some major changes to the core data
structures/algorithms), I'm getting to the point where I'm essentially
just guessing at what might be the main hotspots and trying different
ways of doing it. Having some kind of sampling profiler would be
awesome.

(I can't resist! Eye candy, as of last night:
http://i.imgur.com/77lAr.png . That's 300k triangles, at 512x512 and
3x3 super sampling, with 1 area light and 1-bounce global
illumination, Took just under 6 minutes on my Core i7 2600k - single
core, since there's no real way to write parallel programs in rust
yet).

Seb