[rust-dev] hello

Graydon Hoare graydon at mozilla.com
Fri Apr 6 13:04:13 PDT 2012

On 06/04/2012 6:13 AM, Kobi Lurie wrote:
> hello list, newbie here, just read the tutorial.

Welcome! Thanks for your interest.

> I am interested in rust, and would like to ask general questions, or
> suggest features or simplifications.
>
> Is this the right place?

Best we have so far. As the community grows, we may set up a separate
-users list but for now most of the language users and developers are
the same people :)

> first question: I am an early adopter type, I don't mind api breaking
> under my feet.
> I'd like to know if at this stage the language is suitable enough for
> writing small libraries or apps.
> Are the general semantics expected to change dramatically?

It depends on how you view "dramatic". We certainly aren't making
source-level compatibility promises yet. I don't expect we'll be at a
place to make those sorts of promises for ... probably the rest of this
year. We have a modest number of changes queued up for the course of
this year, some of which we don't know the exact outcome of yet. The
main changes-in-progress (proposed or under debate) are currently open
as "RFC" bugs in our tracker. See:

https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues?labels=B-RFC

Many of these are sort of "corner case" work; changing an awkwardness we
find in the existing syntax and semantics without changing anything deep
about them. A few are additions (classes, slices) which are not going to
break old code, just enable interesting kinds of new code.

A few queued changes are somewhat deep: the changes to import/export
control, the attribute system, the "extern" C FFI, region memory
management, vectors, unwinding, gc and error signalling, for example.
But in all these cases we're hoping to, again, refactor the semantics
and "file down" rough parts we discovered in the existing language while
working with it, not fundamentally alter the "character" of it. Of
course this is subjective. But if you like the current semantics, my
hope is that we're just going to be making them more robust and useful,
not springing any surprises on you.

-Graydon