[rust-dev] hello

Rick Richardson rick.richardson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 08:06:41 PDT 2012

Welcome!   I too am relatively new and have been enjoying the hell out of Rust.

Rust is definitely suitable for writing small libraries or apps.

Rust is definitely going go change its API, and, to a lesser extent,
its language semantics.  The parts that is still in flux are some
finer points relating to pointers and memory management.  For many
apps you'd never notice, but in my opinion there are some
non-intuitive quirks.  These are being ironed out as the region based
memory management is implemented.

In all honesty, this is the best experience I've ever had with a 0.2
language. The toolchain is quite solid and everything works as
expected.  The team is also very responsive to issues filed in the
github tracker.

If you haven't already, check out cargo central. It is a repository of
user contributed libraries and anyone can contribute to it. So if you
see something missing from Rust's core or stdlib, that would be a
great way to contribute.