[rust-dev] spawn on top of OpenCL

David Rajchenbach-Teller dteller at mozilla.com
Fri Apr 6 02:40:34 PDT 2012

Quick note: writing GPU code and CPU code is extremely different. Things
may have changed, but last time I checked, GPUs were very antagonistic
to non-static memory management – which basically meant no stack and no
memory allocation.

For these reasons, I doubt that |spawn| can even be implemented on top
of OpenCL. On the other hand, it is certainly possible to write a nice
library of combinators for on-GPU computations. I suspect that
Rust-style typeclasses can even be used to define generic algorithms
that can be implemented both on-GPU and on-CPU.

Cheers,
 David