[rust-dev] read file line by line

Brian Anderson banderson at mozilla.com
Wed Apr 4 13:39:05 PDT 2012

On 04/04/2012 08:17 AM, Masklinn wrote:
> On 4 avr. 2012, at 17:09, Eric Holk<eric.holk at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> In Rust, you can do something like this instead:
>>
>>     let parts = vec::map([" a", "b ", " c ", "d"]) {|s|
>>         str::trim(s)
>>     };
> Isn't it possible to pass str::trim directly to vec::map? It the indirection through the block really needed?

In this case I believe the block isn't necessary, but in many situations
it is so I've gotten used to just always using it (sadly). The reason is
because generic functions always take arguments by reference while
functions on scalars take their arguments by value, so composing them
isn't possible without an adapter between them. Strings are passed by
reference though so this example should work without the extra block.