[rust-dev] building on SunOS, regex

Brian Anderson banderson at mozilla.com
Sun Apr 1 15:40:43 PDT 2012

On 04/01/2012 10:34 AM, Mohd. Bilal Husain wrote:
> I am following the tutorial at http://doc.rust-lang.org/doc/tutorial.html
>
> 3. Section 5.2 Bind. I understand that I can
> option::unwrap(daynum("do")) to get back the uint.
> What is the difference if I skip the bind keyword.
> The llvm bitcode files that are generated w/ and w/o appear to be the
> name.

The bind keyword here is redundant. Any time you have a function call
where one of the parameters is `_`, that's a bind. The only time that
bind is currently necessary is when you want to bind all the arguments.
In that case there's no way to discern that it's a bind without the keyword.

> Sidenote: Is the item 'do' a joke amidst 'mo', 'tu', ... which appear
> to be weekdays

'do' is the German abbreviation.

> 4. Suggesting a few edits
> a) Section 8.6 - The map functions should read
> vec::map([1, 2, 3], plus1);
>
> b) Section 11, line 8 should declare acc mutable
>     let mut acc = "";
>
> c) Similary, in section 13 Testing, the variable i must be mutable so
> line 7 should read
>     let mut i = -100;
>
> And again, I am feeling intimidated for posting this on dev mailing list.

Thanks. I checked in these fixes.