[rust-dev] building on SunOS, regex

Graydon Hoare graydon at mozilla.com
Sun Apr 1 11:12:23 PDT 2012

On 01/04/2012 10:34 AM, Mohd. Bilal Husain wrote:
> 1. Thanks a ton for the detailed instructions. Although I do understand
> it in parts, I am not sure if I am able to comprehend a lot of things.
> I'll try and see if I can make some progress.

Ok. If you want to stop by our IRC channel, irc.mozilla.org channel
#rust during weekdays, some mozilla developers should be around and able
to help answer questions a bit more "interactively", clarify the parts
you do not understand. Most of us are there during working hours
(9h-17h) in UTC-7, but Marijn works in UTC+1.

You're also welcome to keep posting here asking for clarification on
details of what I wrote in the previous message, if you prefer email.
Nobody's really written up instructions on how to add a new target yet,
so it's worth elaborating in some detail here. Maybe it would make for a
good section in the wiki or manual. There are lots of targets yet to
support, and there's no need for mozilla developers to act as
bottlenecks on new targets (indeed, the FreeBSD target was contributed
by Jyun-Yan You, a volunteer).

> Apart from that I have a question about bind (probably due to my lack of
> functional programming knowledge) and few remarks:
>
> I am following the tutorial at http://doc.rust-lang.org/doc/tutorial.html
>
> 3. Section 5.2 Bind. I understand that I can
> option::unwrap(daynum("do")) to get back the uint.
> What is the difference if I skip the bind keyword.
> The llvm bitcode files that are generated w/ and w/o appear to be the name.

I believe we're in the process of deprecating/removing the 'bind'
keyword, but I'm not certain. Niko is adjusting that part of the syntax,
so you might have run across a temporary redundancy.

> 4. Suggesting a few edits

Thanks, those are sharp eyes! We'll try to fix these up.

> And again, I am feeling intimidated for posting this on dev mailing list.

Oh, don't worry about it. This is the only mailing list we have that's
not just automated commit-postings. We don't have enough users yet to
warrant separate -users and -dev mailing lists. Your questions and
suggestions are quite welcome here.

-Graydon