[rust-dev] building on SunOS, regex

Graydon Hoare graydon at mozilla.com
Sun Apr 1 09:38:05 PDT 2012

On 01/04/2012 2:49 AM, Mohd. Bilal Husain wrote:
> 1. How to compile for SunOS.
>  From what I understand, I first need a precompiled snapshot for SunOS#
> which was probably written in Ocaml##
> I have no clue which earlier version to checkout for the same. Or if the
> process has been changed.

Re-bootstrapping from rustboot (the original ocaml-based bootstrap
compiler) is not a good route to a new target. The dialect of the
language it compiled is long-since obsolete. You'd have to walk it
through a year and a half of changes, hundreds of builds and snapshots.
It would be very delicate and hard. The only programs that can process
the current rust dialect are the existing stage0 snapshots (which we
have binary snapshots of for 6 hosts presently: {macos,linux}-{x86,x64},
freebsd-x64, win32-x86)

The efficient route to getting a new target is to add support for the
target architecture, in the form of .S files, to the runtime (if it's
not already there), then add support to the configuration machinery,
driver and linkage-driver for the new target. Then keep fiddling with it
until it produces binaries that run on your target.

If you want a new _host_, you get 'target' mode working (as above) and
then just cross-compile rustc from an existing host to your new SunOS
target, and register the output from that cross-compilation as your
target's new stage0 snapshot.

When you say "compile for SunOS", it depends if you mean as host or as
target. We're going to be a bit cautious about adding more and more
supported kinds of host. We added freebsd this time around, partly
because it's so similar to the macos and linux ports that there was very
little delta; but every host we support is a new bit of build machinery
we have to keep online and moving forward in lock-step with the others.
That's more ongoing porting and maintenance effort for us (mozilla) and
at some point we're going to draw a line.

We should probably work out some sort of policy about
community-supported hosts, possibly a way for people to run secondary
repos or branches that advance at their own pace (rather than as a
bottleneck on our master branch) while still using mostly-similar
infrastructure.

Extra targets, though, I think should usually be welcome in our master
branch. They cost us much less than extra hosts.

> 2. Is there support for regular expressions; especially, in alt arms?
> Also, I couldn't locate regex in std or core module.

There's a pcre module in cargo[1]. We intend to integrate regexp-based
switching (alt-like) via a syntax extension at some future date, and
will probably bring re2 or pcre or something into libstd once we have a
plausible story for optional std components, but have not done any work
on this yet.

-Graydon

[1] https://github.com/mozilla/cargo-central