[rust-dev] stageX/rustc should be linked against stageX/lib/libstd.so

Graydon Hoare graydon at mozilla.com
Wed Jul 6 10:01:12 PDT 2011

On 06/07/2011 9:47 AM, Graydon Hoare wrote:

> But yes, it does seem sane that rather than copy
> stage0/<arch>/lib/libstd.so to stage1/bin, we could
> recompile-from-source at that step; subsequent steps would obviously
> make no difference (as stage1/lib/<arch>/libstd.so would be
> bit-identical to stage2/bin/libstd.so whether we compile from workspace
> or copy).

Hm. Thinking further .. I think it's more a matter of stage0 recompiling
its own stage0/lib/<arch>/* files before it makes another move, as the
very first step. A sort of "upgrade stage0 to the current libstd"
pre-compiler-building step. We can probably accommodate that without
many other changes; we can still copy that *upgraded* stage0/lib/arch/*
to stage1/bin/ the same way we would do any other N -> N+1 target
library copy.

Ok. Sorta seeing how this fits together. Will it make half-snapshots
(stage1, incompatible) harder to make? I don't see how, but I've been
surprised before...

-Graydon