[rust-dev] stageX/rustc should be linked against stageX/lib/libstd.so

Graydon Hoare graydon at mozilla.com
Tue Jul 5 11:11:41 PDT 2011

On 11-07-05 11:02 AM, Marijn Haverbeke wrote:
> Do I understand correctly that this revised approach will still not
> allow me to add a function to the standard lib and use it in rustc
> without snapshotting? I think we should try hard to support that.

No. That's really not possible: the stage1 build (first compiler built
from our sources) is always linking against the snapshot libstd. Because
it's produced by the snapshot rustc. That's the only arrangement that
makes any sense; and that snapshot libstd does not have your new
function, so your first build (thus sources-in-tree) can't use it.

I don't think there's any way to get what you want there, sorry. The
whole point is that the snapshot is "what the current sources depend on
to build".

-Graydon