[rust-dev] stageX/rustc should be linked against stageX/lib/libstd.so

Marijn Haverbeke marijnh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 07:29:59 PDT 2011

> A way to think of it: imagine there was another rust compiler (visual rust),
> if you started the bootstrap of our compiler using it (stage0 is visual
> rust), stage1 would depend on the runtime libraries of visual rust.

Right, and if visual rust used a different dynamic lib format, you'd
have a problem. Similarly, if we ever want to change our so format in
an incompatible way, it seems we're in for some seriously complicated
snapshotting.

What is the problem with using the stage0 compiler to first compile a
standard lib for stage1, and then a stage1 rustc? Isn't the current
situation, where (if I understand correctly) stage0/lib/libstd.so is
used both by stage0/rustc and stage1/rustc kind of asymmetrical and
weird?