[rust-dev] directions

Graydon Hoare graydon at mozilla.com
Mon Jan 3 15:26:34 PST 2011

On 11-01-01 04:38 AM, Joe Walker wrote:
> I've been playing around with rust over the holiday a bit mostly by digging
> around in src/test/run-pass. In addition to the main doc, I think that might
> be one of the best way to learn how things work right now?

It's a way to browse through bits of the language in ... digestible
pieces anyway. Yeah. Though some of them are just simple regression
tests. Honestly the test directory is a bit disorganized. It could do
with someone building out systematic tests for each aspect of the
language (and removing duplicates). It's quite ad-hoc presently.

> I wondered if it made sense to have a document that gave someone an ordered
> list of files to look at. It shouldn't be too much work to create and could
> help a lot of the thrashing around that I've done, plus it shouldn't be hard
> to keep up to date as the language evolves. Something like this:

It's possible, yeah. The manual needs a tutorial section too. I'm not
opposed to any of this, just a bit time-thin when it comes to doing so
myself, still trying to coax rustc into bootstrapping. Will probably be
doing so for a few more months.

So er .. I know this is the classic open-source response but I think
"doc patches welcome" is the best I can say for now. Sorry!

-Graydon