[rust-dev] runtime libraries and stage1

Niko Matsakis niko at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 14 20:47:50 PST 2011

Your point about std/core is well taken and basically convinces me that
my idea is not good.  It would definitely still be nice if there were a
way to "quarantine" the original runtime, but perhaps just preserving
the old definitions for a time is the best we can do.

If nothing else, we could make this a bit more automatic by having the
runtime functions "namespaced" with some sort of prefix, like "rust4_"
or what have you.  Then when we make backwards incompatible changes, we
literally copy the entire runtime into a new subdirectory with a new
prefix ("rust5_").  We make changes liberally to rust5_ and delete
rust4_ once the new snapshot is in place.  (In the compiler this prefix
would be automatically added, of course)

Such a system would also allow us to keep backwards compatibility with
binaries generated by older versions of the compiler, once Rust becomes
widely used and hugely popular.  It's certainly not the smartest way to
handle that particular situation, though, as it would also lead to a
maintenance nightmare as there would be many versions of the same code
in the codebase.

That said, we do probably want to start thinking about how we will
version the runtime for backwards compatibility, and maybe we can use
whatever scheme we come up with to ease the bootstrapping pain as well.

Niko