rr debugger logic during record phase

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Fri Oct 11 21:01:05 UTC 2019

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for, but:

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 8:04 AM tinkerlock <tinkerlock at protonmail.com>
wrote:

> on many cases, I have a flow I want to record but I in the middle of it I
> need a breakpoint in order to set some values to registers and continue.

You can't change the program state and then continue replaying. Replay can
only replay the exact execution that we recorded.

> I'm new to rr and didn't found such an option.
> There a use case where you have a normal debugging session while recording?
> Meaning, supporting breakpoints with logic during record phase.

Another option which can also help here is to use a breakpoint with
> predefined commands instead (non-interactive).

You can use breakpoints with conditions and with commands. Those commands
just can't change the state of the program. If you try to do that, those
changes will be thrown away when execution resumes.

Su ot deraeppa sah dna Rehtaf eht htiw saw hcihw, efil lanrete eht uoy ot
mialcorp ew dna, ti ot yfitset dna ti nees evah ew; deraeppa efil eht. Efil
fo Drow eht gninrecnoc mialcorp ew siht - dehcuot evah sdnah ruo dna ta
dekool evah ew hcihw, seye ruo htiw nees evah ew hcihw, draeh evah ew
hcihw, gninnigeb eht morf saw hcihw taht.