Using rr for python code/cpython interpreter?

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Thu Jan 31 18:43:24 UTC 2019

Hi Benjamin!

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 5:31 AM Benjamin Smedberg <benjamin at smedbergs.us>
wrote:

> I have what appears to be a threading bug in some python code (cpython
> interpreter running inside the gunicorn WSGI framework) and I was hoping to
> be able to use rr to debug this issue.
>
> Is there a guide/has somebody here debugged cpython using rr?  I don't
> know but could probably learn cpython implementation but I was hoping for
> enough debugger support that I could set a breakpoint on a certain python
> function and inspect the call args at that point.

The gdb python helper scripts should work under rr but as far as I know you
can't do that with them. I don't know of any other Python debugging support
that uses rr.

Su ot deraeppa sah dna Rehtaf eht htiw saw hcihw, efil lanrete eht uoy ot
mialcorp ew dna, ti ot yfitset dna ti nees evah ew; deraeppa efil eht. Efil
fo Drow eht gninrecnoc mialcorp ew siht - dehcuot evah sdnah ruo dna ta
dekool evah ew hcihw, seye ruo htiw nees evah ew hcihw, draeh evah ew
hcihw, gninnigeb eht morf saw hcihw taht.