Confusion about "rr pack" functionality and documentation

Brooks Moses bmoses at google.com
Sun Jan 13 00:53:55 UTC 2019

Hello!

I'm reading through the rr documentation on the wiki, and either I'm
confused or there are some gaps in the documentation.

The "Usage" page, under "Limitations", says: "Currently, the
/path/to/your/application image you recorded must not change before you
replay the recording. If the executable image changes, all kinds of bad
things will happen."

There's also an open bug for fixing this:
https://github.com/mozilla/rr/issues/1295.

However, based on the "Trace Portability" wiki page, it sounds like "rr
pack" solves this problem.  Am I missing something?  Or is the
documentation out-of-date, and the bug something that should be closed as
fixed?

Thanks,
- Brooks