Use rr for JVM process

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Wed Apr 24 20:29:46 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 8:27 AM shang xinli <shangxinli at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am able to use 'rr' for a JVM application to record the JVM crash issue.
> However, when I set breakpoint and try to hit that breakpoint for replay,
> the breakpoint just was not hit. The application just finish with that
> exception. Can anybody help on how do I hit the breakpoint I set?  Here are
> what I did.

Does your workload contain multiple processes and if so, are you debugging
the right process? Run `rr ps` and then if necessare `rr replay -p <pid>`.

If you're setting a breakpoint in JIT code you may need to use hardware
breakpoints. Use `hbreak *<addr>` in gdb.

Su ot deraeppa sah dna Rehtaf eht htiw saw hcihw, efil lanrete eht uoy ot
mialcorp ew dna, ti ot yfitset dna ti nees evah ew; deraeppa efil eht. Efil
fo Drow eht gninrecnoc mialcorp ew siht - dehcuot evah sdnah ruo dna ta
dekool evah ew hcihw, seye ruo htiw nees evah ew hcihw, draeh evah ew
hcihw, gninnigeb eht morf saw hcihw taht.