Question on ReplayTimeline::reverse_singlestep()

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Fri May 11 11:20:42 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 8:45 PM, Sidharth Kshatriya <sid.kshatriya at gmail.com
> wrote:

> However, what is surprising to me is that rr is constantly trying to reach
> the ticks_target but never taking trace time into account. Doesn't the
> ticks target (RCB counter) constantly get set to zero regularly during
> recording? My point is: the ticks_target could have wrapped to zero
> multiple times. How can we just worry about ticks_target when there could
> be multiple ticks_targets (of the same value) that could be relevant to us.

Task::ticks never resets. It increases monotonically during recording and
replay.

The hardware ticks counter does reset, but that's basically an
implementation detail of PerfCounters.

Su ot deraeppa sah dna Rehtaf eht htiw saw hcihw, efil lanrete eht uoy ot
mialcorp ew dna, ti ot yfitset dna ti nees evah ew; deraeppa efil eht. Efil
fo Drow eht gninrecnoc mialcorp ew siht - dehcuot evah sdnah ruo dna ta
dekool evah ew hcihw, seye ruo htiw nees evah ew hcihw, draeh evah ew
hcihw, gninnigeb eht morf saw hcihw taht.