Question about rr alternative design

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Feb 20 20:25:00 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 9:17 AM, Octav Chipara <ochipara at gmail.com> wrote:

> On an unrelated topic, I am trying to obtain a recording of nginx.
> However, if I start it from the command line, rr does not record any data
> (perhaps it is not following child processes). If this is not support, is
> it possible to attach rr to a running process?

We don't support attaching to a running process. That would be possible to
implement, but tricky. Injecting the preload library into a running process
would be especially difficult.

Su ot deraeppa sah dna Rehtaf eht htiw saw hcihw, efil lanrete eht uoy ot
mialcorp ew dna, ti ot yfitset dna ti nees evah ew; deraeppa efil eht. Efil
fo Drow eht gninrecnoc mialcorp ew siht - dehcuot evah sdnah ruo dna ta
dekool evah ew hcihw, seye ruo htiw nees evah ew hcihw, draeh evah ew
hcihw, gninnigeb eht morf saw hcihw taht.