Dynamic analysis using rr

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Feb 19 19:01:14 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 5:58 AM, Octav Chipara <ochipara at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to build a dynamic analysis tool that leverages rr's record
> capabilities. Specifically, I would like to playback the traces to
> determine the value of variables in the program at different points in the
> execution. To do this, I would like understand what is the format that rr
> uses to save the data that it collects. Is there documentation describing
> the storage format?

rr_trace.capnp contains some useful information.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1705.05937 is very helpful for understanding how rr
works and what it records.

Determining the values of variables during replay would require actually
replaying the program rather than just reading the trace file, since the
values of variables aren't in the trace file. You may be able to use the
ReplaySession API to do this.

Su ot deraeppa sah dna Rehtaf eht htiw saw hcihw, efil lanrete eht uoy ot
mialcorp ew dna, ti ot yfitset dna ti nees evah ew; deraeppa efil eht. Efil
fo Drow eht gninrecnoc mialcorp ew siht - dehcuot evah sdnah ruo dna ta
dekool evah ew hcihw, seye ruo htiw nees evah ew hcihw, draeh evah ew
hcihw, gninnigeb eht morf saw hcihw taht.