Disabling target-async useful?

Benjamin King benjaminking at web.de
Mon Sep 25 11:47:55 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 09:47:44PM +1300, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Benjamin King <benjaminking at web.de> wrote:
>
>> in "rr gdbinit" I have found that target-async mode is disabled for gdb
>> versions below 7.11.1.
>>
>> Is there a reason for not doing this for more current versions? [...]
> target-async is actually disabled by default these days. https://sourceware.org
> /gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Asynchronous-and-non_002dstop-modes.html

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I am running GDB  8.0.50.20170418-git and
find my settings to be like this:
---snip---
  (rr) show target-async
  Whether MI is in asynchronous mode is off.
  (rr) maint show target-async
  Controlling the inferior in asynchronous mode is on
---snip---

The docs for non-stop mode also tell that pagination interferes with non-stop
mode and I have recently turned pagination off, making non-stop mode
possible.

Not sure about the difference between the "show target-async" and "maint show
target-async", but if none is required to be set for rr, I will just turn
them off in my own .gdbinit

The gdbinit provided by "rr gdbinit" just made me think that target-async is
something important for rr, since it is only disabled for certain versions.

Cheers,
  Benjamin