Disabling target-async useful?

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Sep 25 08:47:44 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Benjamin King <benjaminking at web.de> wrote:

> in "rr gdbinit" I have found that target-async mode is disabled for gdb
> versions below 7.11.1.
>
> Is there a reason for not doing this for more current versions? Does rr
> benefit from target-async mode? I'm asking because I am sometimes getting a
> "Cannot execute this command while the selected thread is running." when
> interacting with gdb during a replay.

target-async is actually disabled by default these days.
https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Asynchronous-and-non_002dstop-modes.html

That page also says "CLI background commands are now always possible “out
of the box” if the target supports them." So changing that setting probably
has no effect on rr in modern gdb versions.