Quickly jump to event?

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue May 23 23:05:22 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 6:22 AM, Benjamin King <benjaminking at web.de> wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:39:19PM +1200, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Benjamin King <benjaminking at web.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>    I have just learned that checkpointing with rr is working well. It
>> would be
>>    convenient if I could 'restart <X>' where X is an event number instead
>> of a
>>    checkpoint (event as in 'rr -M' or reported by 'when' from within gdb).
>>
>>    Is there a way to achieve that or something similar?
>>

>> `run <event>` should work.
>>

> Ah yes, that works, but I meant this:
>  (rr) run 150000
>  (rr) checkpoint
>  (rr) run 200000
>  (rr) run 150000 <- This starts from 0 for me, reproducing output etc
>  (rr) restart 1  <- This goes to the same position more quickly
>
> So to rephrase: Can I have the behaviour w.r.t. performance of the restart
> command but with an event as an adress rather than a proper checkpoint? Or
> is
> that not possible at all? Or am I missing something and the run command
> already should do this?

Yeah `run` doesn't currently work like that. However `info check` will show
you which event each checkpoint is at and then you can choose the
checkpoint. I guess you could script a command using Python that parses the
result of `info check` and chooses a checkpoint.

One feature that really should be added to rr itself is the ability to run
forward or backward to a specific event without restarting.