Diversion session question

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Wed Mar 15 20:45:42 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Juraj Oršulić <juraj.orsulic at fer.hr> wrote:
> Hello! Just a quick question. Is it possible to execute a few lines in
> a diversion session to see the side effects? I could try to use the
> call command to execute these few commands, but one of them is
> construction of a C++ object and it's a nightmare to try this from
> gdb.

Are you requesting a new feature that lets you execute a specific
range of source code lines?

If so --- that's not really possible because that code would almost
always require a properly initialized stack frame, and the only way to
set that up is to actually call a function. So gdb has no command for
that, and so neither does rr.

You could of course extract those lines into a function, recompile and
re-record your application, and then call that function from gdb/rr.

lbir ye,ea yer.tnietoehr  rdn rdsme,anea lurpr  edna e hnysnenh hhe uresyf toD
selthor  stor  edna  siewaoeodm  or v sstvr  esBa  kbvted,t rdsme,aoreseoouoto
o l euetiuruewFa  kbn e hnystoivateweh uresyf tulsa rehr  rdm  or rnea lurpr
.a war hsrer holsa rodvted,t  nenh hneireseoouot.tniesiewaoeivatewt sstvr  esn