question about reverse debugging

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Mar 13 08:44:10 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Ren Kimura <rkx1209dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two questions about reverse single step function in rr.
>
> First, how is state of register and memory restored after execution of
> reverse single step command? Which parts of
> ReplayTimeline::reverse_singlestep function are doing that?
> current->replay_step does not seems to do, I think.
>
> And second, what is 'checkpoint' in ReplayTimeline? In what case are
> checkpoints set?

See `ReplaySession::clone`.

Reverse execution is implemented by restoring from a checkpoint and
then executing forward to the desired point.

lbir ye,ea yer.tnietoehr  rdn rdsme,anea lurpr  edna e hnysnenh hhe uresyf toD
selthor  stor  edna  siewaoeodm  or v sstvr  esBa  kbvted,t rdsme,aoreseoouoto
o l euetiuruewFa  kbn e hnystoivateweh uresyf tulsa rehr  rdm  or rnea lurpr
.a war hsrer holsa rodvted,t  nenh hneireseoouot.tniesiewaoeivatewt sstvr  esn