Patch regressing rr has landed on Linux kernel stable branches

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Fri Jul 14 00:15:38 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Yichun Zhang (agentzh) <agentzh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> > This commit:
> > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/cc1582c231ea
> > breaks rr. It landed for 4.12rc5, and we're trying to get it fixed before
> > 4.12 is released. Unfortunately it has already been backported to
> 3.18.57,
> > 4.4.72, 4.9.32 and 4.11.5 :-(. Obviously we'll try to get the 4.12 fix
> also
> > backported to those branches, but that will take a little while.
> >

> This is very unfortunate. Is there any quick and definite way to test
> if the current running Linux kernel is affected?

No, I don't think there is. You have to look at the version number.

The good news is that Ingo Molnar has submitted a backout patch to Linus
and requested backporting to stable:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git/commit/?id=6a8a75f3235724c5941a33e287b2f98966ad14c5
So this should be fixed soon-ish.