Two questions

Juraj juraj.orsulic at fer.hr
Wed Feb 22 16:54:30 UTC 2017

Hello everyone, you are doing wonderful work with rr. I have
successfully used it in CLion, via its remote gdb debugging feature.
Another nice thing is that the CLion plug-in, which the folks from
UndoDB made, that provides "backwards continue", "backwards step",
etc. buttons in the debug GUI, also works with rr. Rr is also quite a
lot faster for me than UndoDB.

I have two questions. First, I am probably not missing something and
the answer is "impossible", but is it possible to immediately jump to
a saved state of the application without having to replay all the way
from the beginning? I am trying to debug an error in an application
which happens 20 minutes from start, somewhere around the 600 000th rr
event. It would be nice if I could somehow save the application state
from there and on the next run immediately start from there.
Currently, every time I want to debug this trace, I have to wait for
20 minutes until the replay reaches this place.

Second, to connect from the gdb inside CLion, I am using the --dbgport
option. Rr displays the gdb command to execute for connecting, which
is helpful, but I am missing the rr macros this way. E.g. I cannot use
"when". Could you also expose a script file which could be sourced
from gdb in this case?

Thanks!