Cross compilation/debugging?

Alejandro Exojo alex at vikingsoft.eu
Fri Aug 25 08:17:56 UTC 2017

Hi.

I have an embedded device that I would like to use with rr. It has an
Intel 32 bit CPU, and is fairly speedy, but we only use cross
compilation and debugging. It's possible that somebody on the team is
using debugging directly on the target, since it even has gdb (not
just gdbserver) installed on the image.

I've searched on the mailing list archives and the issues on github,
but I could not find anything relevant. I also have not found any
Yocto recipe (i.e. "a ready made package"), so I would have to write
my own.

Before I do that, do you have any advice? Should I check first if the
CPU is supported? Is the file format for the recording portable, or
should I just forget about any cross debugging, and attempt to debug
directly on the target, even if it has its own problems?