rr on oracle linux 6

Benjamin Dicken bddicken at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:51:17 UTC 2016

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.8.5

It took awhile for me to get all of the dependencies for `cmake` to work,
but now I do. I run `cmake`, which succeeds, then I run `make`, and very
early on multiple errors are reported:

$ make
Scanning dependencies of target Generated
[  0%] Generating AssemblyTemplates.generated
[  0%] Generating CheckSyscallNumbers.generated
[  0%] Generating SyscallEnumsX64.generated
[  0%] Generating SyscallEnumsX86.generated
[  0%] Generating SyscallEnumsForTestsX64.generated
[  0%] Generating SyscallEnumsForTestsX86.generated
[  1%] Generating SyscallHelperFunctions.generated
[  1%] Generating SyscallnameArch.generated
[  1%] Generating SyscallRecordCase.generated
[  1%] Built target Generated
Scanning dependencies of target 64bit_child
[  1%] Building C object CMakeFiles/64bit_child.dir/src/test/64bit_child.c.o
In file included from .../thirdparty/rr/rr/src/test/64bit_child.c:3:
.../thirdparty/rr/rr/src/test/rrutil.h:54:26: error: sys/fanotify.h: No
such file or directory
In file included from .../thirdparty/rr/rr/src/test/rrutil.h:64,
                 from .../thirdparty/rr/rr/src/test/64bit_child.c:3:
/usr/include/sys/ptrace.h:33: error: expected identifier before numeric
constant
/usr/include/sys/ptrace.h:135: error: expected identifier before numeric
constant
/usr/include/sys/ptrace.h:147: error: expected identifier before numeric
constant
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
In file included from .../thirdparty/rr/rr/src/test/64bit_child.c:3:
.../thirdparty/rr/rr/src/test/rrutil.h: In function ‘rdtsc’:
.../thirdparty/rr/rr/src/test/rrutil.h:177: error: implicit declaration of
function ‘__rdtsc’
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/64bit_child.dir/src/test/64bit_child.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/64bit_child.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
$

The things that jump out at me specifically are:

1) ...rr/src/test/rrutil.h:54:26: error: sys/fanotify.h: No such file or
directory

Perhaps I'm just going crazy, but I could not figure out how to get this
header installed on the system correctly. I made a temporary hack by
commending out a few fanotify - related lines in the rr source to get past
this.

2) /usr/include/sys/ptrace.h:33: error: expected identifier before numeric
constant

Not sure why gcc has trouble compiling this system header...

3) ...rr/src/test/rrutil.h:177: error: implicit declaration of function
‘__rdtsc’

Again, don't know what's going on here.

I don't mean to drag you into the weeds of my problem too much, but if you
have some simple suggestions for resolutions, let me know.

--
~Benjamin Dicken