next steps for rr

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Mar 8 21:14:31 UTC 2016

gdb and other traditional debuggers are not the ideal debugging
interface for the long term. For the next big leap in debugging I plan
to take a step back and build a different interface with a somewhat
different implementation, something more like Chronomancer. Record and
replay are still critical so I plan to build on rr for those
capabilities, but the new functionality will probably be in separate
components and not open-source, at least initially. For clarity I'll
give this new project a new name and use 'rr' to refer to the
open-source project.

So I plan to keep maintaining rr at its current level of
functionality, keep improving the robustness of recording and replay,
and keep working on recording features such as chaos mode and some new
ones that my new project will need. I don't plan to make any
significant improvements to rr's gdb integration, because I see it as
a dead end, but of course we'd accept patches for such improvements.

lbir ye,ea yer.tnietoehr  rdn rdsme,anea lurpr  edna e hnysnenh hhe uresyf toD
selthor  stor  edna  siewaoeodm  or v sstvr  esBa  kbvted,t rdsme,aoreseoouoto
o l euetiuruewFa  kbn e hnystoivateweh uresyf tulsa rehr  rdm  or rnea lurpr
.a war hsrer holsa rodvted,t  nenh hneireseoouot.tniesiewaoeivatewt sstvr  esn