installation instructions for rr?

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Fri Jul 29 23:16:10 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 12:51 AM, Laszlo Ersek <lersek at redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking about trying out rr, but for that, I'll have to build and
> install it first. I found the build instructions:
>
> https://github.com/mozilla/rr/wiki/Building-And-Installing
>
> however, despite the title saying "building and installing", I can't see
> the installation step itself (which is usually "make install").
>
> Do I have to run rr from the build directory, or is it possible to
> install it like many other open source projects, under a user-specified
> pathname prefix? (Think ./configure --prefix=...)

`make install` does work.

You can select a destination directory using cmake:
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<prefix> <path_to_source>

You can probably also use DESTDIR:
make DESTDIR=<prefix> install

Someone could extend the fake `configure` script to parse out --prefix and
pass the correct option to cmake...

I'll update the wiki.