Better scheduling

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Jan 26 01:57:38 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Kyle Huey <me at kylehuey.com> wrote:

> We talked a bit on IRC a few weeks ago about a bug I ran into that wasn't
> reproducible in rr, because rr disallows context switching at futex wake
> calls, and you said you were working on some stuff for introducing more
> interesting scheduling.  How is that going?

It's going well!
https://github.com/mozilla/rr/commits/chaos
(Warning: I reserve the right to edit history on this branch.)
With this branch, I have been able to reproduce a couple of intermittents,
and Benoit Girard has reproduced (at least) one as well. I'm very excited
because this is a hard problem and the approach I came up with is not
obvious (it took me several tries to get anywhere :-) ). I was planning to
get some more results (i.e. actually record and debug some real top-orange
bugs) before declaring victory and writing it up.