rr with virtualbox (or, rr on a Windows host)

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Feb 16 18:41:30 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:54 AM, Nathan Froyd <nfroyd at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Benjamin Smedberg <benjamin at smedbergs.us
> > wrote:
>
>> Does rr work with virtualbox? I read through
>> https://github.com/mozilla/rr/wiki/Building-And-Installing and didn't
>> see any explicit mention of virtualbox.
>>

> It does not.  Enough people have asked that we should probably explicitly
> mention the non-workingness.

I've updated the wiki. Being open-source, in theory someone could
contribute PMU virtualization to VirtualBox to make it work.

>> If not, are there suggested solutions for using rr from a Windows host
>> OS? I'm willing to pay for a VMWare license if necessary, but I was hoping
>> to use a free solution if there is one available.
>>

> I'm not aware of a free solution here. =/

VMWare is effectively free with VMWare Player. Despite the name, you can
create VMs as well as run them: "VMware Workstation Player provides a
streamlined user interface for creating, running and evaluating operating
systems and applications in a virtual machine on Windows or Linux PCs." In
theory it's a 30-day trial but I guess you can just reinstall it.