Why does rr require 32-bit cross-compilation?

Ted Mielczarek ted at mielczarek.org
Tue Feb 2 19:26:22 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016, at 10:18 AM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 11:48 PM, Paul Omta <p.omta at np-komplete.com> wrote:
>> Dear list members,

I am a software engineer in the EDA industry and I've been trying
to build rr.

Everything that I am trying to debug has 64-bit, but rr requires 32-bit
cross-compilation. Can anybody explain why this is the case? Is there a
CMake option to disable 32-bit?

> There isn't an option to disable 32-bit, but someone should add one! I
> can probably do it, but I'm traveling today so I won't be able to do
> it immediately.
FWIW, you'd want to wrap the check for a 32-bit toolchain here in a
conditional:
https://github.com/mozilla/rr/blob/4ad2055d6b4cd5729c99724e6dc4ac6dee90315b/CMakeLists.txt#L27

and the 32-bit libs and tests here:
https://github.com/mozilla/rr/blob/4ad2055d6b4cd5729c99724e6dc4ac6dee90315b/CMakeLists.txt#L252
https://github.com/mozilla/rr/blob/4ad2055d6b4cd5729c99724e6dc4ac6dee90315b/CMakeLists.txt#L750

You can see an example of a build option in the "force32bit" option in
that file:
https://github.com/mozilla/rr/blob/4ad2055d6b4cd5729c99724e6dc4ac6dee90315b/CMakeLists.txt#L39

-Ted