handling stack growth induced by the debugger

Chris Jones jones.chris.g at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 02:21:36 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 6:38 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>
wrote:

> ​if you read from memory below the stack pointer before the mmap happens,
> the stack grows automatically

​I was going to suggest that maybe we should start tracking automatic stack
growth/shrinkage by poking the page we thought was bottommost in the
mapping and the first thought-unmapped page below it, but it sounds like
that won't work.  I wonder if auto stack growth wouldn't happen if we used
PTRACE_PEEKDATA instead of reading the memory fd?  Somewhat doubt it.

Cheers,
Chris​