introducing a stable branch

Steve Fink sphink at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 18:10:12 UTC 2015

reverse-exec is the backend for gdb/rr's reverse-continue and friends? I'm
on a somewhat old checkout. It failed for me the first time I tried, which
I couldn't reproduce, and it's worked perfectly the dozen or so times I've
used it since then.

And it's *awesome*. I had two intermittent failures, and settled into the
procedure of:

% while rr my-command; do echo passed; done
% emacs
M-x gud-gdb, set command to rr replay
gdb> set annot 1
gdb> run
feel happy

But these were JS engine only, which may be why I didn't hit any bugs. I
did have a third bug that would not reproduce under rr. It was related to
thread scheduling. It made me wonder if rr while recording could force
thread execution to be interleaved in obnoxious ways. (Or even have a
client directive that you could compile in to request a context switch at a
particular point.)