introducing a stable branch

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Apr 14 22:58:47 UTC 2015

Currently, to keep rr working on new OS releases or latest Firefox builds,
we have to frequently update rr's syscall support. With our current
development model, those updates don't make it to a release until we ship
one off master. This is a problem because it means releases often don't
work with latest OSes or Firefox, and master may not be stable enough to
use.

So I think whenever we have low-risk fixes needed to make rr work on latest
OSes or Firefox, we should create a stable branch for the last release (if
there isn't one already), copy those fixes to that branch, and make a new
minor release off it. How does that sound?