RR API Discussion (librr)

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Oct 14 14:29:06 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Benoit Girard <bgirard at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Some of the things I describe need to interface with some debugger
> (like GDB) and I don't think my use case is unique there.

Yeah. You need an API to connect a gdb instance that you control to an rr
ReplaySession or DiversionSession. That's actually reasonably
straightforward if your code spawns and drives gdb; librr just has to have
an API to open a gdbserver on a Session and return the port number to you,
which you then pass to a gdb 'target remote' command. You would need to be
careful not to confuse gdb by messing with the Session directly behind
gdb's back.

You mention
> a breakpoint API for instance. Is this something that librr will
> implement itself

Yes. rr already has an internal breakpoint API, it's just a matter of
exposing that. This would let you add and remove breakpoints and provide
notifications when breakpoints are hit.

(and if so ptrace process limitations might be a
> problem)

Not sure what the problem is here. rr ptraces all the tasks it controls.
You would not be able to ptrace those tasks directly, but you shouldn't
need to; we can provide rr APIs to proxy any requests you need.