rr on Windows

Chris Jones jones.chris.g at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 08:05:21 PDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Kyle Huey <me at kylehuey.com> wrote:

> Have we thought about what is involved in porting rr to work on
> Windows?

A little bit.  rr was written with cross-platform support in mind, but
the more we work on it the more linux-specific it becomes.  At this point,
I'm pretty sure it'd be easier to write a new tool from scratch than port
rr to windows.

>  Is there anything we're aware of that's absolutely a
> show-stopper?

Not to my knowledge.  Porting rr to windows is approximately as complex
as porting valgrind to windows.  But as the valgrind people say, "In
particular Windows is not under consideration here because porting to it
would require so many changes it would almost be a separate project."

However, also as the valgrind docs say, "(Valgrind + Wine can be made to
work with some effort.)".  We have [1] on file for that.

>  Does Windows provide the APIs necessary to interrupt
> execution based on hardware performance counters?

I'm don't know, but I'm pretty it does.  If it didn't, they could be
exposed through a driver.

[1] https://github.com/mozilla/rr/issues/158