Worst rr cruft / development taxes

Chris Jones jones.chris.g at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 22:10:22 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>
wrote:

> I would like to see most of the recording and replay logic move into
> RecordSession and ReplaySession (and ExperimentSession (which maybe we
> could call DivergingSession?)). There are more applications for rr than
> just gdb and I think the Session classes should be the basis for an "rr
> API". All the gdb-specific logic should be separated from replay logic and
> implemented as a control loop driving a ReplaySession.

​I have some thoughts along these lines as well, but not worked out much as
I mentioned above.  Don't want to derail too far, but the most obvious API
client would be an strace clone, and I think for that Session isn't quite
right.  But new pieces I think we should put in place (~execution
controller and ~something-happened notifier) might fit that use case
better.  And we can have consumers of multiple API levels.