Projects and priorities

Chris Jones jones.chris.g at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 22:44:36 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 6:29 AM, Chris Jones <jones.chris.g at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Projects that would have a big user impact, in priority order
>>   - already underway: finish x86-64 support[1].  Merits its own major
>> release.  It's not quite clear to me yet where, or if, additional
>> developers can contribute to this effort.
>>

> I'm sure many people can contribute. I'll post a followup-email about that.

​Thanks!​

>   - add reverse-continue/reverse-step/et al. support.  Merits its own
>> major release.  First step should be a wiki page with a design overview.
>>

> I've thought about this quite a bit so I'll create that page.

​Thanks!​

> Projects that would have some user impact, in no particular order
>>  - compress traces[2].  (Consume up to 40x less space.)
>>

> BTW if we do this, I recommend also moving away from C++ streams, mainly
> because currently the open fds for the trace files leak into the fd space
> of tracees and there's no way to make the fds for C++ streams CLOEXEC
> AFAICT.

​Good point, never thought about that.  Will file a separate item​

>>>  - switch to using instructions-retired counter instead of
>>> retired-conditional-branches [4].  This solves a variety of practical and
>>> theoretical problems.
>>>

>> Do you have a plan for overcoming the problems with the
> instructions-retired counter that stopped us from using it already?

​Nothing more specific than dusting off my WIP patch and spending more time
figuring out why it didn't work.  I didn't have a good test case or much of
a hypothesis for what was going awry.​

Thanks for the comments.