Syscall interruption mechanics

Chris Jones jones.chris.g at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 21:52:23 PST 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Kyle Huey <me at kylehuey.com> wrote:

> In particular EV_INTERRUPTED_SYSCALL_NOT_RESTARTED.  How is this
> supposed to work?

​Pretty much as it sounds ... we record that event if we observe that an
interrupted ​syscall isn't restarted.

  It appears to consume (pop) an
> EV_SYSCALL_INTERRUPTION during both recording and replay, but when it
> consumes the one during recording there's nothing there for it to
> consume in replay.  What am I missing?

​You're saying there's nothing for it to consume and an assertion fails or
something?  There should be an interrupted-syscall record on the replay
event stack.  We have tests that exercise that case.  So to better
understand the mechanism, you can try breakpointing at the replay code that
pops the interruption record in that case.  To debug your problem, we would
need to know your test case or a summary of its behavior.