Adding per-application configuration data

Chris Jones jones.chris.g at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 00:08:41 PDT 2014

I'm a bit hesitant about going this route, especially if the use case so
far is continuing through AsmJSFaultHandler().  Are we sure that the
equivalent of [1] can't be done with gdb macros that don't require
executing code in the tracee?

My concern over the "application behaviors" is that rr will end up
duplicating gdb functionality.  For example, to implement
|AsmJSFaultHandler = continue|, rr needs to first look up debug info for
sighandler functions that are invoked during execution.  Theoretically, rr
can ask the gdb remote protocol for this.  If that doesn't work, or gdb
doesn't send back enough info, we're back to parsing DWARF.  Then, rr has
to know that the string "AsmJSFaultHandler" should match whatever debuginfo
gdb sends us (or rr resolves itself), preferably using gdb's matching
heuristics.  "AsmJSFaultHandler" may resolve to more than one symbol with
different args and/or in different namespaces, .

Certainly doable, but my personal preference would be to try to fix the
existing gdb helper before building this new mechanism into rr.

[1] http://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/js/src/shell/js-gdb.gdb