RFC: Debugging interface (gdb)

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Wed May 22 19:51:07 PDT 2013

Sounds great.

I'm pretty sure ptrace stepi will update the instructions-retired counter
correctly. We'll see... Handling the case where a signal needs to be
delivered at that instruction sounds tricky.

No idea what to do for breakpoints. Theoretically, inserting int3
breakpoints could cause divergence. Probably doesn't matter. Same is true
for debug registers I suppose, but matters even less. I guess just using
int3s is simple and gives you unlimited breakpoints --- and we don't have
to worry about threads racing.

In my mind I would like gdb support to be good enough to be useful, but
rather than making it really great it might be better to invest in stuff
like checkpointing and then Chronicle/Chronomancer style
recording/debugging of segments of the trace. My ultimate goal is to have
something a lot better than anything gdb (even with reverse execution) can
provide :-).

q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq
qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqeqmq.q qAqnqdq qiqfq qyqoquq
qdqoq qgqoqoqdq qtqoq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qaqrqeq qgqoqoqdq qtqoq qyqoquq,q
qwqhqaqtq qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq
qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq qdqoq qtqhqaqtq.q"