RFC: Automate-able build system

Chris Jones jones.chris.g at gmail.com
Wed May 8 14:04:05 PDT 2013

Note: this change was just merged into master.  The next time you pull,
you'll need to reimport your Eclipse project.  Sorry for any nuisance this
causes.  To reimport your project, follow these steps

 0. Save all your work and push it to your clone.
 1. Have Eclipse un-track your old project.  Right-click the project then
hit "Delete".  This sounds scary but it just makes Eclipse stop tracking
the files.  Be sure that Eclipse doesn't delete your project files! ;)
 2. You'll need to rebase all your work branches on the new build system,
for sanity.
 3. Change to your $rr clone directory, and run the following command.  It
doesn't matter which branch you have checked out.

$ cmake -G "Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles"

This asks cmake to re-generate Eclipse project files.

 4. Re-import the project into Eclipse.

After that, when you switch branches, cmake should be smart enough to
regenerate build files as necessary.

Please let me know if you run into any issues.

p.s. to generate a vanilla Makefile-based build setup, just run |cmake .|
from your $rr directory