RFC: Automate-able build system

Chris Jones jones.chris.g at gmail.com
Tue May 7 14:59:25 PDT 2013

tl;dr we need automated builds and tests, which requires a scriptable build
system.  I propose CMake but don't feel strongly about it.

I had wanted to write this up as a wiki page can't seem to access it.  So
I'll write it out here for discussion then transfer to the wiki when I'm
able.

Goals
 1. Run builds and tests in automated infrastructure
 2. Ability to do cross-platform builds in the future
 3. (nice to have) Support a variety of editors / build drivers, like
Eclipse, Visual Studio, emacs/GMake, etc.
 4. Keep it simple and don't litter the src with cruft

All these goals point to a "build system generator", like CMake or gyp, as
a good solution.  Such a system is kick-started from the command line,
generating whichever set of configuration files the user prefers.  An
automated infrastructure would generate Makefiles, current rr hackers could
generate Eclipse projects, future hackers could generate Visual Studio
projects, etc.

CMake is a relatively simple and pretty widely used system.  Thankfully
rr's needs are quite minimal so I don't think the choice matters too much.
 But please do suggest anything you think would be better.

I should have a CMake patch up later today for reference.